NIXLE is an electronic alert system that allows local, state and federal agencies to immediately deliver important information to subscribers. Simply enter the ZIP codes you wish to receive notices for, and all alerts will be emailed and/or SMS text messaged to you. These alerts cover everything from local road closures, burn bans/restrictions, all the way up to large incidents. This service is free. Sign up at www.nixle.com.
- Teller County Sheriff’s Office
- Douglas County Sheriff’s Office
- Pike National Forest
- Colorado Office of Emergency Management
- Hourly Fire Weather Conditions (NOAA)
- Active Fires in Colorado (InciWeb)
- Active Fires in Colorado (Colorado Emergency Management)
- Wildland Fire Assessment System (WFAS)
Protecting Your Home and Family
- Wildfire Mitigation for Homeowners (Colorado State Forest Service)
- Pikes Peak Wildfire Prevention Partners
- First Aid and CPR Training
- National Weather Service
- Wildfire Risk Assessment
Informational Articles and Videos
To help understand the importance of fire mitigation and creating a defensible space around your home, please watch this video put together by the Pikes Peak Wildfire Prevention Partners. This dramatically demonstrates how homes were saved or lost due to the level of fire mitigation within the areas hit by the Black Forest Fire of 2013.
The Fire Line: Wildfire in Colorado – Waldo Canyon, Black Forest and how wildfires are changing in Colorado and the American West
Four times in four years, wind-fanned flames raced through Colorado neighborhoods in and at the edge of dying forests, killing people and breaking records for destruction. And because more than 100,000 people in the last decade have moved into “red-zone” areas primed for conflagration by a century of fire suppression, no one is sure that the devastating fires of 2012 and 2013 will not be repeated. View this excellent documentary created by The Denver Post.